Re: Problem with ppp-2.3.3-5 and authentication

    Oops...forgot to change some configs. to show my new
e-mail address.  I also left out something in the reply,
below!  Read on.

> > Dear All,
> >
> > I've only just joined this list, so I don't know if this has been
> > discussed before.  I'm using ppp-2.3.3-5 and mgetty-1.1.14-1 to run a
> > one-modem dialup.  Everything works just fine until pppd goes to verify
> > the username/password, which always fails with "PAP authentication
> > failure for <username>".  I've verified the username/password and they're
> > valid.  Can someone give me some pointers on where to look next or what
> > the problem might be?
>
>     From the error message you are receiving, it appears that your
> ISP is using PAP authentication.
>
>     Try putting a timeout line (e.g., TIMEOUT 45) right after the
> "ATDT..." line in your chatscript file,

      And comment-out all lines after that.  *Remove your password
from the password line* in the chatscript or provider file (depending
on whether you run bo or hamm), because the one in your pap-secrets should
do the trick, and you don't want to defeat the purpose of it!
Let us know if this doesn't work.  ...terrible sorry I left out
the most important info the first time.

                                             _Art