Re: Diety / Apt Questions.

On Sat, 2 May 1998 hospedales@wow.net wrote:

> 1. (Out of curiosity) is there any way to specify the server apt-get uses? Are
> we just out of luck if the default one goes down?

You should edit /etc/apt/sources.list (see souces.list(5)) or use Dselect
to configure the APT method. Both will let you specify any server. I have
a list of HTTP enabled servers at
http://www.debian.org/~jgg/mastersourcelist

 > 2. Could I make a symlink from /var/cache/apt/archives to another
> drive/partition with more space and let it keep the cached archives there?

Yep.

> 3. If apt retrieves a newer version of a package and stores it as usual in the
> archives directory, does it delete the older one? or does that directory grow
> without limit?

It never erases the dir unless `apt-get clean' is done. If you are using
dselect then this is done after a sucsessfull install run.

Jason