Re: xdm and shutdown

Daniel Martin at cush wrote:

> "Jorge Daniel Ruckj" <jruckj@tron.fi.uba.ar> writes:
>
> > Hi all.
> >
> > How I do a shutdown if I use xdm?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Are you aware that even while using xdm one can press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to
> get to a text console?  I find a surprising number of linux users
> unaware of this fact.

A lot of people are also unaware that typing 'Ctrl-r' from the xdm login screen
exits xdm. Note that xdm is not killed. This mapping is actually set up by the
resources for the server in /etc/X11/xdm/Xresources, resource
xlogin*login.translations. At least on my system I have:

xlogin*login.translations: #override\
        Ctrl<Key>R: abort-display()\n\
        <Key>F1: set-session-argument(failsafe) finish-field()\n\
        Ctrl<Key>Return: set-session-argument(failsafe) finish-field()\n\
        <Key>Return: set-session-argument() finish-field()

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com