Problem with NE2000 Card not working after kernel compile.

Hello;

I have had this problem for quite a while and am completely lost as to
what to do to fix it.  I have had this problem with both Debian 1.3.1 and
Debian 2.0 unstable/frozen.  Basically, I install Debian from scratch on
my system.  During the install process autoprobe for ne2000 card, it
cannot come back with the io address (0x300) so I manually specify
io=0x300.  The system installs fine and the network card works just fine.
Now I download the latest kernel source code (2.0.33 or 2.1.x) and try and
compile the kernel.  I have tried both without modules and with module
support.  The card is on IRQ10.  The card seems to be autodetected
properly during the bootup sequence with the new kernel but it does not
seem to work once the bootup is done.  I get 2 SIOADDCRT: invalid device
messages.  Upon exploring around, I see that these messages are being
caused when the file /etc/init.d/network is run

the 2 lines are:

route add -net ${NETWORK}
[ "${GATEWAY}" ] && route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1

Please note that this SAME /etc/init.d/network file works just fine with
the kernel installed by the Debian install process (which in my case at
the present moment is 2.0.32 that comes with 2.0 frozen).

I do not have any free IRQs left to try my ne2000 card unfortunately.
I was wondering if someone could provide me with some help on this
problem.

Thanks in advance,

Vaibhav Goel