Re: Zen and the art of working with NT

On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Stephen Carpenter wrote:

> I have a linux machine here which is low on hard disk space
> my idea was to mount my "Windows NT home directory" here at work
> and use it for extra space (I can up my spcae by 2 gigs that way)
> o far I have mounted my home drive
> \\home5\sjc8$ on /mnt/partners with smbmount
> because o fmy specific problems I was trying to do the following:
> create a second extended filesystem in a file on the NT home dir
> and then mount that filesystem (I need a filesystem that will hole my
> files and care about case and permissions
> I am planning on using it to image CDs to burn (hamm hamm hamm :) )
> why wont it work?
> I can make an e2fs filesystem but when I try to moungt it anywhere I get
> errors
> I tried the following example
> cd ~
> touch test.e2

Here, make sure that the file is actually the size you want it to be
before you use mke2fs on it, like this:

$ dd if=/dev/zero of=test.e2 bs=1024k count=500

This will create a 500 MB file filled with 0x00.

> mke2fs -F test.e2 500
> (it makes a filesystem)
> mkdir testmnt
> mount test.e2 -o loop testmnt
> and it moutns!
> then...
> cp test.e2 /mnt/partners
> mount /mnt/partners/test.e2 -o loop testmnt
> and I get the errors "loop: block 1 not present" and a bunch of others
> then I tried
> cd /mnt/partners
> mkdir testmnt
> and same deal
> anyone tried this? can it work? what sthe problem?

The problem is that block 1 is really not present. The dd command above
will make cause it to be present.

I don't know if this also works if the test.e2 is on a Samba filesystem,
but you could of course give it a try.

Remco