Re: Fonts in X [Off Topic]

I read this now and this reminds me of a point I have meant to bring to someones
attention...
the debian xfstt package soes not contain the original xfstt documentation!
I installed it recently (again) and actually had to download the package off of
sunsite
and unpack the tarball just to get the docs on how to tell X
that I hada font server running!
hmm...if the lack of a man page is considered a "bug" (I read that somewhere)
would  this also fall into that catergory?
the docs included in the deb (unfortunately) don't even ell how
to make the install usefull :(
-Steve

Remco Blaakmeer wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, Paul Rightley wrote:
>
> > I have installed xfstt, but it seems to be documentation-poor.
> > I know nothing of fonts in X (or in Windows for that matter -
> > I guess I am the prototypical luser).  Where would I get some
> > TTF fonts and where would I put them to use them?  Are there
> > fonts of this sort that follow the DFSG (which I would prefer)?
>
> You can place the fonts in a subdirectory of /var/ttfonts . You can use
> any name for that subdirectory. Where you get the fonts is another issue.
> It is probably illegal to use the fonts that come with Windows. You could
> get yourself a CD with a few hundred shareware/freeware fonts, but most of
> these are very poorly licensed.
>
> xfstt isn't yet automatically started at boot time. To start it manually,
> do:
>
> # xfstt &
>
> ... as root.
>
> If you also run xfs, you'll have to put one of these font servers on
> another port than the default (which is 7100). 'xfstt --help' and 'xfs
> --help' are helpful here. But if you say you don't know anything about
> fonts, you probably don't run xfs.
>
> To let the X server use the fonts, you can do:
>
> $ xset fp+ tcp/localhost:7100
>
> ... as any user that currently has access to the X server (i.e. you).
> This only works if the X server is already running and must be done every
> time the X server is restarted.
>
> If you want the X server to automatically use the fonts, you can add this
> line to the "Files" section in /etc/X11/XF86Config :
>
>     FontPath   "tcp/localhost:7100"
>
> If xfstt isn't running when X is started, the X server will not be able to
> use the TTF fonts until you issue the xset command above.
>
> I say again here, I don't know where GIMP gets its fonts. But if it gets
> them from the X server, this is the way to get GIMP to use TTF fonts.
>
> Also, note that xfstt is in an experimental state. It is not yet stable
> and may crash or do things you don't expect now and then. But you could be
> lucky and it may just work for you.
>
> If you have any more questions, just ask.
>
> Remco
>
> --

-=Signature has been removed because it made an unfair comparison between NT 4
and Linux =-
replacement: (ok I admit...I am bored..its a slow day at work)
[sjc@debian ~]$fortune -o
Anything more than 3 shakes is for fun.