Re: I have a pppd connection problem.

On Mon, Apr 20, 1998 at 09:13:16AM +0200, Szomor Attila wrote:

> --ppp not replacing existing default route to eth0[0.0.0.0]
> --Cannot determine ethernet address for proxy ARP
> I do not have idea what is a solution if you know it please send me an
> e-mail.

I don't think the settings on your ISP are the problem.  It sounds to me
like you changed the configuration of your own ethernet network.

pppd will not change the "default" route (the 0.0.0.0 in route -n) if it
already exists.  Probably you are setting it in /etc/init.d/network.  If you
want pppd to set the default route, you need to not set it yourself in
/etc/init.d/network.  To make your ethernet network operate, you can use
the "route add -net" command to add _just_ the IP subnet used by your
ethernet.  Then pppd is free to create the default route when you are
online, and remove it when you disconnect.

The other problem about proxy ARP is simple -- you don't need proxy ARP in a
dial-in configuration.  It would only work if your ethernet network had the
same IP subnet as the address you got from your ISP -- and that's unlikely
in your case.  This error isn't hurting anything, but you can get rid of it
by removing "proxyarp" from your ppp options.

Have fun,

Avery