Sidewinders and Re: compiling joystick.o

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, Brian Servis wrote:

> Corey Miller wrote:
> >
> >         I'm trying to compile the module for joystick support, but when I
> > make joystick.o and try to load it with insmod I get this error:

[...]
> Check the Makefile, I think there is a variable in there that sets what
> kernel it is compiling for.  I am not at my Linux machine now to check.
> I think you can even give a list of kernel versions and it will create
> a set of different joystick.o's one for each kernel version.

You're right, and I guess that's why the binary package only has 2.0.27
and 2.0.30 versions in it.

But on the subject of joysticks, I have a MS "Sidewinder 3D Pro" joystick
which claims to be a digital stick. Fortunately it also seems to run in
a compatibility analogue mode though not everything works: the "throttle"
(slider) and 4 buttons on the base don't work. The effect of the switch
appears merely to turn on/off the "hat".

To anyone who uses one of these, have I missed any features?
To all and sundry, is there any work in progress on driving digital
joysticks digitally (not that I particularly want to run a Sidewinder
Force Feedback Pro and get whitefinger syndrome!).

Cheers,