Re: ANNOUNCE: deb-view.el 1.5 - deb file viewer for Emacs

(Maybe this discussion should be off-list?)

Rick Macdonald wrote:

> > I think it should start off configured with `locate' since I'd expect most
> > people to have it.  The `find' default started out looking in the wrong
> > directory.
>
>                               locate is broken for regular expressions
>     I made the default to be the find method. Since it does regexp
> (egrep), you can enter things to deb-find like: quake|doom

Good reasons.  Might I suggest that:

 - the docs for deb-find mention deb-find-method in a clearer way
   e.g. "Search for deb files using the method specified by the variable
         deb-find-method, and collect output in a buffer.
         See also the variable deb-find-directory."

 - the docs for deb-find-method mention deb-find-directory.

> > > (define-key dired-mode-map     "\C-d"     'deb-view-dired-view)
> >
> > I don't see why you need this.
> [...]
> In the end, if you use deb-find, it executes deb-view on the file, not
> find-file, so the auto-mode-alist is bypassed and this performance issue
> doesn't even come to play anyway!

I see now.  Perhaps simply mention that `f' works also.  But the docs are
always kinda long.  It would be nice to have them short and clear rather
than any longer.  I've learned that people don't read docs when there too
long (and I've written some long ones!).

> > Instead you should add a last line to your file:  (provide 'deb-view)
> > and then we can use the more appropriate form:
> >
> >   (require 'deb-view)
>
> The idea here is a simple way for emacs users incapable of customization
> to load deb-view. Using require would require the user to put
> deb-view.el into their load-path or modify their load-path. This is
> exactly the complication I sought to simplify!

Well, the package should still provide itself to the system. (I dump a new
Emacs binary with lots of loaded packages to save start-up time; so I
always use `require').

I use a home-built Emacs (not from a Debian package).
But doesn't the Debianized Emacs add a /etc/emacs directory with stuff in
it?  Perhaps you can set it up there automatically...

Alternatively, there always a site-lisp directory for Emacs.

Peter