Re: sendmail error

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Hans Ehrbar wrote:

> I first had smail on my system and then replaced it with
> sendmail, and since then I cannot mail anything to my debian
> linux box.  Regardless of the address, it says:
>
> 553 buo319b.econ.utah.edu. config error: mail loops back to me (MX problem?)
> 554 <ehrbar@lists>... Local configuration error
>
> What should I do?
>
> Thanks for your advice.
>
> Hans Ehrbar.

What is happening here is that either DNS, NIS, or the hosts file is
telling sendmail that ehrbar@lists should be delivered to the local
machine but sendmail is not configured (in the Cw entry) to accept mail
for hostname lists as local.

Add an entry something like this:

Cw lists

In the /etc/sendmail.cf file and then killall -HUP sendmail

You can have multiple Cw entries in the file or you can simply add lists
to the current Cw entry separated by whitespace from any other hostnames.

If mail to user@lists is NOT to be delivered locally, there is a problem
somewhere with an MX record pointing at the local host. The lowest
preference value of an MX record should go to the machine that knows how
to do final delivery to the user's mailbox.

George Bonser

If I had a catchy quip, it would be here.