Re: How to send files over uucp

On Fri, Apr 24, 1998 at 09:27:58PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 23, 1998 at 10:36:53PM -0500, john@dhh.gt.org wrote:
> > George Bonser writes:
> > > You should probably do doing something like:
> > > uucp remote_uucp_node!/full/path/to/file /path_to_local/destination
> >
> > No, he should be doing something like:
> > uucp local_file remote_uucp_node_name\!user_name\!remote_filename
>                                          ^^^^^^^^^
> This sounds like a bit of a hack somewhere -- it should just be
> machine1!machine2!...!machineN!filename, no?
>
> But then, I do UUCP on one box for mail and not for file transfer.

If you use uucp then you use Unix-to-Unix-CoPy and it does what it says.
Then the you should use ~user_name (remember to escape the~) to expand to the
home-dir of user on the remote machine.
If you want to send mail (to an MTA), then you should use the rmail program.
By default you are allowed to run *rmail* and *rnews* on remote hosts.
But you should never have to execute in by hand (can't tell you the exact call
because of that).

Peter.