find says it cannot find some directories

My Debian 1.3 box has been running with no major problems for many months.
Suddenly, a few days ago, the cron job that runs find every morning
starting sending root a report saying that many directories did not exist.
For example:

find: /usr/local/maple/update: No such file or directory
find: /usr/local/maple/bin_LINUX_INTEL_UNIX: No such file or directory
find: /usr/local/netscape: No such file or directory

Everything that it cannot find is in /usr, but not everything is in
/usr/local. All these directories do exist, and there appears to be
nothing wrong with them.

If I simply issue the command "find /usr -name some.file", I get exactly
the same set of error messages. This happens whether or not I am root.

I have rebooted and I have reinstalled findutils. Neither had any effect.
I did not, to my knowledge, change anything on my system at the time this
started happening.

Does anyone know what could possibly be causing this?  I don't subscribe
to this list, so I would be grateful if any replies could be e-mailed to
me as well as to the list. Thanks in advance.

James G. MacKinnon                       Department of Economics
    phone: 613 545-2293                  Queen's University
      Fax: 613 545-2257                  Kingston, Ontario, Canada
    Email: jgm@qed.econ.queensu.ca       K7L 3N6