Re: inconsistent X security?

On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, Adrian Bridgett wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 20, 1998 at 10:52:15PM -0500, pgarcia wrote:
> > I'm currently not using xdm; I'm using startx to start X.
> > When I don't have an .xserverrc file, X uses magic cookies.
> > When I do have one (that simply says X -bpp 24), the security
> > is completely disabled.  What gives?  How do I use an .xserverrc
> > file without losing my security?

X -bpp 24 is /too/ simple. In the man page for xinit it says:

       Both  the  client program name and the server program name
       must begin with a slash (/) or a period  (.).   Otherwise,
       they  are  treated as an arguments to be appended to their
       respective startup lines.  This makes it possible  to  add
       arguments  (for example, foreground and background colors)
       without having to retype the whole command line.

> I have an .xserverrc file and things work fine:
>
> exec /usr/X11R6/bin/X -ld 8192 v :0
>
> maybe the "exec" is important? It certainly speeds up X-windows startup cf.
> without the "exec".

Once again, the man page is worth a read:

       Note, when using a .xserverrc script be sure  to  ``exec''
       the  real  X  server.   Failing  to do this can make the X
       server slow to start and exit.

Cheers,