SCSI and Tape Drives

I have had one too many hardware failures which resulted in me
"Loosing everything" lately, and as such would like to get a Tape drive
I have been told that with linux "most IDE Tape drives and All SCSI
tape dirves will work"
I have had a secret desire (ok..not so secret) to start using SCSI on my

home system for some time now....
I found I can get a 4 gig tape drive (uncompressed...uses Travan TR4
tapes)
for about $200
it is a Seagate T*Stor 8000 Internal SCSI (model sgt8000iS)
Does anyone kno wmuch about this drive? how much troubl eam I looking
at?
I already know I will have to recompile my kernel (I ALWAYS use a custom

built kernel and my current one had SCSI suport turned off completely)
I will also need a SCSI controller card...
I got (for free) a SCSI controller...
somone bought an internal SCSI Zip drive here at work but already
had a SCSI card so they gave me the new one from the Zip drive...
is this controller worth bothering with or should I spend the $$ to get
a better
one?
I am looking for any recommendations (I am tired of buying hardware and
having it break and not work so easily....so this time im not going to
"Impulse Buy" my computer hardware)
-Steve
--
-=Signature has been removed because it made an unfair comparison
between NT 4 and Linux =-