Re: exim & mutt, weird

On Sat, Apr 18, 1998 at 09:38:54PM -0400, Lee Bradshaw wrote:

> > > To me the correct way is "unset use_from" and let the MTA generate the
> > > correct address.  With the default "set use_from", I've seen hostname
> > > info appear in the from address when that machine shouldn't be receiving
> > > email.
> >
> > Please see my last message...  In my case the from address the MTA would
> > generate would bounce on reply I can almost guarantee.
>
> Then it sounds like your MTA is broken.  I don't think I should have
> to fix the headers for every program (mail, mailx, mutt, elm, pine,
> emacs...) when the MTA should handle it.  From a security point of view,
> you might not want users to be able to send mail that appears to be from
> a different user.  On a dial up system with only one user maybe it's not
> an issue.

let me explain:

This machine is icarus2.dyn.ml.org.  Therefore, my MTA generated From line
is knghtbrd@icarus2.dyn.ml.org.  You see that dyn part?  Yeah,
non-dedicated dialup.  =p  So really, I -NEED- the mailer to generate a
from address for a mailbox I can get mail from.  Why not reply-to?  Not
everything out there honors it, at least one mailing list I am on doesn't.

The MTA is not broken, their mailing list software is.  So I accomidate
everyone by forcing mutt to make the from header.