Re: A newbie chicken and egg question

Hi,

> What I need are the list of dependencies for manpages, the manpages
> binary, how to install manpages and the same for HAMM (ie ppp dialup).
> If I dload them to win95 partition, I can split them into 1.44mb chunks,
> transfer them to the linux partition, stitch them back together again
> and install from there.

     I'm sure you have more resources available than you realize.  The
manpages package contains man pages for system related stuff, not for
applications.  All application packages contain their own manpages,
and this is true of the base system as well.  Do a ls /usr/man/man1|more
and ls /usr/man/man8|more to see which ones are already on your system.

     You can read them (sort of) with "zmore /usr/man.man1/pon.1.gz".
This shows the file with all the nroff formatting codes, which is
tough to read, but can be figured out.  The man-db packages contains
the man browser which displays them properly formatted.  I don't
remember which linux version you were installing.  For hamm the man-db
dependencies are groff, libc6 and libdb2 (>= 2.3.10).  For bo (1.3),
the man-db dependencies were groff, libc5 (>= 5.4.0-0) and libdb1.

     However, I think it would be counterproductive to try to download
these piecemeal through the other system and floppies.  I believe you
said you had ppp working, or almost working, and you should be able
to finish setting it up without the manpages.  The comments in some of
the skeleton config files - /etc/chatscript/*, /etc/ppp/options,
/etc/ppp/options_out, /etc/ppp/peers/provider (some of these are bo
and some are hamm - the ppp setup changed quite a bit between the two
releases) should help.  Also look at the files in /usr/doc/ppp,
especially /usr/doc/ppp/README.debian.gz.  Once ppp is running you can
use the ftp option of dselect to download and install what you need.

--
   _
  |_)  _  |_       Robert D. Hilliard    <hilliard@flinet.com>