Re: XDM-start when?

On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Gernot Bauer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> how can I start xdm automatically after booting?
>
> I remember that dpkg asked if I want to start xdm after booting - I
> denied because X was not set up correctly but now Id like to change
> this...
>
> Does anyone know which files to alter?

Look at /etc/init.d/xdm:

  run_xdm=0
  if grep -q ^start-xdm /etc/X11/config
  then
    run_xdm=1
  fi

So, first you have to change the line:

  no-start-xdm

in /etc/X11/config to:

  start-xdm

Next possible trap is less obvious: when /usr/bin/X11/xdm is started by
/etc/init.d/xdm, it looks at the configuration file /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers
to see what xservers should be started on which display by xdm. If it
doesn't have a line:

  :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X

xdm will not start an xserver, making it seem like xdm is not working,
while it is, in a sense. Very confusing stuff ;-)

Cheers,

Joost