Strange umount permission denied

I keep getting an error message telling me that I can't unmount my CD drive.

I mount it with

mount /dev/hdc /cdrom

and normally I am able to unmount it with

umount /dev/hdc /cdrom

but whatever I do:

umount /dev/hdc

or

umount /cdrom

or the first command, it tells me that the CDROM is in use, and says
'permission denied' even when I'm root.

I look in X and close all applications, then look at the other consoles and
logout of them, but the same still happens.

Then I restarted X with

/etc/init.d/xdm stop

/etc/init.d/xdm start

but it makes no difference. It only happens sometimes, but when it does
happen I can see no solution other than to reboot.

I tried the -force argument with umount but it told me that this is not yet
supported. If I press the eject button on my CD drive, that doesn't work
either and the CD doesn't come out.

Help!