Re: PGCC package?

On Mon, Apr 13, 1998 at 01:59:16PM -0400, Ossama Othman wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> > On a related note, is there a program that can keep a record of the
> > most heavily used libraries and programs, so that a list could be made
> > of the most useful ones to recompile?
>
> I am not aware of any program that will do that.  The only thing I can
> think of is to use ldd to see what libraries are being used by the
> programs you want to recompile.  Perhaps someone on the Debian list knows
> better.
>
> -Ossama

ldd <program name> gives you the list of libraries a program you find slow
depends on;
dpkg -S <library> gives you the package from which belongs the library
pkg-revdeps <package> gives you the packages dependencies tree on which
a <package> depends.
pkg-deptree <package> gives you the packages tree of which packages depends
on <package>

Than I think that you need is

pkg-deptree <package> | depcount

where depcount is this file:
-----------8x--------------
#!/usr/bin/awk -f
/^ / { x++ }
/^[^ ]/	{ if (pkg != "") { print x } ; \
           printf "%s ", $0 ; x = 0 ; pkg = $0 }
END { print x }
-----------8x--------------

This not gives a perfect representation because pkg-deptree don't
repeat already list package. Exemple:

pkg-deptree libc5 xpm4.7 | depcount

will give:

libc5 27
xpm4.7 0

although xpm4.7 has has 4 packages dependencies on my system.
That because xpm4.7 depends himself from libc5 than all packages
who depends on xpm4.7 are allready list in libc5 and not reprint.

So, only put one package by run to get a correct list [it's a bit long
also].

BTW, pkg-* are in pkg-order.

Fabien Ninoles                                  Running Debian/GNU Linux
E-mail:                                                    fab@tzone.org
WebPage:                      http://www.callisto.si.usherb.ca/~94246757
WorkStation [available when connected!]:     http://nightbird.tzone.org/
RSA PGP KEY [E3723845]: 1C C1 4F A6 EE E5 4D 99  4F 80 2D 2D 1F 85 C1 70