Re: New drive--->lilo warning

> > I have just installed a third IDE hard drive (my board supports up
> > to 4).  I have configured the BIOS.  Now I want to use lilo to make it
> > possible to boot from it (it currently has DOS on it), but when I try,
> > it comes up with:
> >
> > # lilo
> > Added linux *
> > Added dos
> > ide: probable bad entry for /dev/hdc
> > ide: to fix it, run:  /usr/src/linux/scripts/MAKEDEV.ide
> > Warning: BIOS drive 0x82 may not be accessible
> > ide: probable bad entry for /dev/hdc
> > ide: to fix it, run:  /usr/src/linux/scripts/MAKEDEV.ide
> > Warning: BIOS drive 0x82 may not be accessible
> > Added dad
> >
> > I don't know whether to believe its explanation.  I suspect something
> > else might be wrong.  Any ideas?
>
> The answer comes straight out of the LILO manual (/usr/doc/lilo/manual*)
>
> ...snip...
>
> In a nutshell, since your BIOS supports 4 drives, ignore the warnings.

I tried booting anyway but it failed, complaining that it wasn't a system
disk.  However my Dad (whose disk it was before giving it to me) swears it
was bootable.

So what's wrong?  On my father's computer the disk was disk C: where as
now it is /dev/hdc (that is, disk E: in dos-speak).  Could this change
affect anything?

Cheers,

Mark.