Re: HELP A NEWBIE: user:nobody invoking find

Albert Hurd wrote:

> Could anyone help me understand the following, and what to do about it:

I can try :) .

> Wheh I am on the net (with netscape 3.04) my disk suddenly begins
> thrashing. A look at top shows a "find / ( -fstype" under user:nobody.
> The rather extensive find explains the disk thrashing, but who is
> nobody,

nobody IS nobody...it is a username that denotes that it is not a personwho
currently has an acount on the system
some programs which "delete a user" take otu the user from the passwor dfile
and get rid of their home directory...
then they set any other files that that person owned so they are
now owned by "nobody" (instead of the now invalid User ID)
nobody is also used by some other system processes that try to be careful and
don't want to run with root privilages, yet also don't want to take the risk of
doing something as some other "real" user

> and how do I tell him to knock it off. This has happened twice on two
> consecutive days. Many thanks.

You probbaly don't want to tell "him"  to knock it off.What youa re seeing is
actuallt a "cron job" this is run daily
(see the file /etc/cron.daily/find )
it runs "updatedb" every day to catalog your filesystem .
The upshot of this i sthat you can use the locate commenad
try "locate <filename>"
you will see why...
if you don't want it ...then just delete the above mentioned file...
but..then you will have to run updatedb yourself by hand when you want it
-Steve

> Albert Hurd
>
> --

-=Signature has been removed because it made an unfair comparison between NT 4
and Linux =-
replacement: (ok I admit...I am bored..its a slow day at work)
[sjc@debian ~]$fortune -o
Anything more than 3 shakes is for fun.