Re: Software RAID configuration in hamm install?

On Wed, 8 Apr 1998, Ulisses Alonso Camaro wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm novice to RAID, and I want to try with it. I would like to know if
> hamm provices in its installation the tools to setup a RAID0 (stripping)
> installation. Also I would like to know if the menu for installation has
> RAID0 configuration options
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> 	Ulisses
>
> PD: Does debian.org ships hamm?

Sorry for the late reply, I am catching up with the mailing list.

Yes, hamm has tools for RAID0. You'll want the mdutils package, which
contains all tools you need. I don't know about the standard kernel, you
might have to compile your own with support for MD and RAID0 turned on. I
don't think there is a menu that configures the whole thing for you, but
it is not difficult to do it by hand. Basically, you do this:

1. get a kernel that supports RAID0 (and boot it).
2. instal the mdutils package.
3. choose the partitions (or whole disks) that will form the RAID0 device.
   for example, say these are /dev/hda1 and /dev/hdc3
4. run these commands:
# mdcreate raid0 /dev/md0 /dev/hda1 /dev/hdc3
# mdadd -ar
# mke2fs /dev/md0
5. mount the RAID0 partition where you want it.

Note, that it will be difficult to get the root filesystem on the RAID0
device since the RAID0 device is only active after the mdadd program is
run (Debian does this automatically at boot time if you have configured
any MD devices). This is approximately how my setup used to be when I had
a RAID0 device:

DOS partition: /dev/hda1
extended partition: /dev/hda2
root file system: /dev/hda5
RAID0 system: /dev/hda6 and /dev/hdc2
swap: /dev/hda7 and /dev/hdc1

RAID0 device mounted on /mddrive
/mddrive contains home, usr and var
root filesystem contains symlinks for /home, /usr and /var

For more (detailed) information, look at these documents on a Debian
system:

/usr/doc/HOWTO/Root-RAID-HOWTO.gz
/usr/doc/HOWTO/mini/Software-RAID.gz
and the man pages for mdadd, mdcreate, etc.

Remco