Re: off-topic : mmx

On 13 Apr 98 18:10:22 GMT, in linux.debian.user Ossama Othman wrote:

>That's not what I recall.  I recall that MMX stood for "Multi Media
>eXtensions," too.  However, I couldn't find anything on the Intel site
>about what it stood for.  Perhaps "MMX" really is a PR thing.  :)

MMX does, according to popular opinion, stand for "Multi Media
eXtensions".  However, Intel wouldn't have been able to trademark that
(for a reason that is beyond me), and tried to make everyone believe
that MMX was just a random collection of letters, which can be a
trademark.  The courts didn't buy into this, and so Intel's
competitors were allowed to use MMX on their own chips.

If I remember correctly...

Rob Wilderspin.
--
"But I need it to crash once every few days -
reboots are the only chance I get to sleep..."