Re: PGCC package?

Hi,

> Now, the FAQ for that pgcc said that it was based on egcs. It listed
> various optimisation switches but didn't mention '-march'. After
> reading your message I tried '-march=pentiumpro -O6' and it produced
> the same code as '-mcpu=pentiumpro -O6'.
>
> So.. is it worth me downloading egcs as well, in the hopes that
> '-march=pentiumpro' will actually do something?

>From what I recall, one of our guys tried the -mpentiumpro flag but the
difference between it and -mpentium was not significant.  He contacted the
EGCS people and they said that optimizations would improve.  I am not sure
if the -march and -mcpu flags produce different code when using egcs.  I
must admit I've never tried the -march flag.

IMHO, it may be better to wait for the next release of egcs since the
current version still has some kernel build issues that need to be
resolved.  The current version of egcs is 1.0.2.  I'm not sure when the
next stable release will be available.

> I was going to make a general remark about Pentium Pros here but
> realised a) that it wasn't Debian-related, and b) that it was probably
> flame bait. :-)

Bummer, I was hoping someone else besides me would get flamed :).

-Ossama