XFree86

Hello:

I just acquired a desktop machine with Debian pre-installed. Very
nice so far, but I have one annoying problem.

As root, I can run the X server with no problems. So I assume that
it's configurted correctly for the hardware.

But ordinary users cannot run the X server. The error message that
comes back is (from memory):

 Xf86Openconsole: X server must be run as root

I've checked all the file-permissions that I can think of and they
seem to be appropriate.

I also found the /etc/xserver file and made sure that it's second line
reads Anybody (rather than Root or Console), but to no avail.

If someone could advise me where to look next, I'd be very grateful
indeed.

Jim McCloskey