Re: How to recover???

T-SNAKE wrote:

> > You should be able to recover using the rescue disk (aptly named,
> > no?). Once you get booted up to where it would ask you to format the
> > disk, exit to a single user shell (this option is at the very bottom)
> > and then run fsck from there.
>
> Will this be the same type of shell as if I did an alt-f2?

Yes, well, that depends what you mean. You don't get bash, you get ash.

> Do I need to mount anything?

No, but you need to know the block-device path (/dev/hda1, whatever) for the
filesystem. This is what you'll pass to fsck.

> How much stuff do I need to mount? Just the root partition? Root and a swap?
> Root and /usr?
> What exactly will be different when I furn fsck like this versus the bottup
> process trying to run it? I don't very much understand why it doesn't work
> (other than the obvious hands on nature of linux).

You don't need to mount anything. That's why it works. You see whether you know
it or not, when you install linux the first thing you do is load a very small
(but complete) linux system into *memory* using a ramdisk. You then execute
programs off of that in-memory linux systems. fsck is one of the programs
available to you. If you don't have much memory you may want to enable a swap
partition. If you've got 16MB or more you probably don't need to worry about
this.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com