Unable to open an initial console.

Hello,

I somehow messed up one of my long-stable hamm systems during an upgrade.
On boot-up, even a single-user boot, the boot process fails with the
message in the subject line above.

What may have caused this is that I ran out of space on my /usr partition
during the upgrade.  Things have been hosed since I rebooted shortly after
that.

I can boot up the rescue disk and mount my file systems, but I'm not sure
what to look for.  I'm afraid that one or more packages are in a half-
installed state.

What does the above message mean, and any ideas on how to proceed without
losing too much of the contents of my disks and invested configuration
time?

Can I maybe install .debs from the rescue system, i.e. install to the
'target' directory tree?

Please copy me in any responses, since I am currently unsubscribed from
the list.  Thanks for any suggestions anyone may have.

--ken

                              __
  Ken Lauffenburger          / /                    __  __
  ken@efficient.com         / /  D e b i a n  G N U \ \/ /
                       ________http://www.debian.org________