Quantum fireball ST 3.2 and kernel 2.0.32

I have a quantum fireball ST, 3.2 gig. It sounds quite nice and fast
in Windows, but under Linux it thrashes around quite a bit. I hear
much much more disk activity than in Windows, and sometimes it sounds
unhealthy (I can hear the drive rattling around). This doesn't give me
warm fuzzies since the tech sup guy at Quantum told me to replace my
drive SOON (in response to another problem.... every now and then it
makes a horrible head crashing noise).

Is this because Win95's virtual memory is not truly virtual memory?
When I run top, I usually see all my swap (64mb partition) is
gone. Usually it's because of X and XEmacs and gimp.

Is there any way to tune the control of my drive? I don't know the
first thing about this, so I'm not sure where the code controlling the
drive resides. But it just "sounds" different in Linux.

(Also, is it safe to run defrag. I am very afraid to screw up my Linux
partition. I'm getting an identical replacement drive in the mail, and
I plan to use something like dd to clone the current one before it
checks out.. perhaps:

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb

will that work?)

Thanks.