genclass, C++ and the new (GNU?) egcs stuff

I have been using the old G++ for some time and recently found that
upgrading has caused the genclass script, String library, and other
GNU stuff to disappear.  Is there a package I am missing?  Do I need
to switch over to the STL?

I am using the genclass types in a project for school -- The school
Sparc labs have it but I don't know if they have STL yet.

What packages do I need to downgrade to get genclass back, or is there
some reason I should switch to STL?  More importantly, is there a
"standard" equivalent to the String class from the old libg++ -- my
project depends heavily on the regex stuff.

TIA,
Kevin Bealer