Re: WINS -> DNS [OT?]

It is possible. In fact, I can email you a program which will do it right now.
The newer versions of Samba will also support this. But what you probably want is
for everyday program to be able to use WINS for name lookups. Programs generally
use the c library call gethostbyname for this purpose. So, you'd have to add some
code to this library to do it or perhaps add a LD_PRELOAD'd library. You could
also do it by running a "fake" dns server which really did WINS lookups. This
actually wouldn't be that hard since WINS actually uses the same packet format as
DNS (just with different values and flags). This is actually something I've
wanted to do for a long time but who has the time?

I'm not sure what you mean by "Can I have the Linux DNS serving non WINS clients
and still get the same name-resolving?"

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com