Permission change on /dev/ttyS1

     My permissions for /dev/ttyS1 are normally:
bob:vc-2:bob>ls -l /dev/ttyS1
crw-rw----   1 root     dialout    4,  65 Mar 31 19:28 /dev/ttyS1

     The group rw is necessary for minicom to access the modem.  From
time to time minicom complains that it cannot access /dev/ttyS1.
Whenever this happens, I find that /dev/ttyS1 has 640 permissions.  I
change them back and everything works.

     This group write permission seems to go away several times a
month.  I can't pin it down closer than that.  Since I don't use
minicom everyday, I can't be sure when the change happens.  I found
the permissions changed this morning.  Within the last few days, I have
installed the following packages:
       libtool         1.0h-2
       debhelper       0.73
       wget            1.4.5-0.1
       autoconf        2.12-6
       automake        1.2-4

     Would any of these packages be likely to change permissions on
/dev/ttyS1?  Can anyone suggest another possible cause for these
changing permissions.

Bob
--
   _