Re: Fw: Design of Debian web site

>For those of you who don't know, I am the current webmaster for Debian.
>I just heard of this thread yesterday and was going to read the debian-user
>archive, but won't bother as the discussion has been moved. Future replies
>will not go to debian-user so subscribe to debian-www if you are interested in
>this.
>
>Thomas Apel wrote:
>> Concerning the topic I think the most important thing about the Debian
>> www site is its content. Besides this it should be fast-loading and easy
>> to use with any browser.
>>
>> But I also think that a good design is a nice thing AND possible without
>> loosing the above attributes. Good design does not necessarily mean
>> frames, tons of graphics or java animations.
>>
>If you had been involved in previous discussions, you would know that
>the developers felt very strongly that there should be NO forms or java
>on the pages and that the amount of graphics should be minimized.
>Tables are well enough supported now that there is no problem in using them.
>
>> Who is interested in what I think of might have a look at:
>> http://www.koeln.netsurf.de/~thomas.apel/debian/index.html
>>
>> Although this is a pretty simple page compared to many other sites I
>> could even imagine a more simple page without tables.
>>
>The page you designed is very much along the lines I had been thinking about.
>Many people have been complaining (and just as many complimenting) the site.
>I have encouraged every person who has written complaining about the site to
>offer suggestions and not a single one has actually come back with anything
>constructive. Thank you for your effort.
>
>I have been working on getting all the mirrors set up so we can easily handle
>multiple languages (will be done using content negotiation). It was originally
>hoped that the pages would be translated by the release of 2.0. As that
>doesn't appear likely, it would be best to make these modifications before
>a major translation effort to minimize the work of the translators.
>
>Here are some points that should be addressed/discussed:
>
>  Should we only redesign the top page, or modify all the pages to use frames
>  (in particular the left margin or top frame to ease moving around the site)?
>  My feeling is to leave the other pages as is.
>
>  There should be a place for the Debian logo (do not start a discussion on
>  the quality of the logo. This will be discussed somewhere else).
>
>  Should we use style sheets?
>
>  Is there any point in keeping the site index? I inherited it and have (sort
>of)
>  maintained it, but don't see the point.
>
>  There needs to be space at the bottom for the logo of the site sponsor.
>
>  After the pages are translated, there will be links at the bottom to
>  access the page in specific languages. This is for those who don't set up
>  the preferred_language variable in their browser.
>
>  FYI, it has been my intention to have the actual web pages generated using m4.
> [...]
Why don't you start a competition? Invite everyone to have a go at
redesigning a set part of the site, then take the best ideas and apply
them to the whole site. Just an idea.

Graham Pople (graham@jalna.demon.co.uk)
SNES emulators at Emulation One (http://www.jalna.demon.co.uk/index.htm)
All emulators at E1 Newsletter (http://www.jalna.demon.co.uk/e1news.htm)