Re: non-free software

On 30 Mar 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> Hi,
> >>"King" == King Lee <king@ultrix6.cs.csubak.edu> writes:
>
> King> I hope you continue to support packages like xv and netpbm. I
> King> think there are too many good packages out there for the
> King> freeware community to ignore.  If you support them please make
> King> them as easily accessible as possible.  As I said before I, and
> King> I am sure others, will use ultra-free software before the
> King> semi-free software, and commercial software as a last resort.
>

> 	Thank you.
On the contrary, thank you and all other developers for bringing
us Debian, GNU, and all the other freeware

for me to create another distribution. But more important, Linux
does not need another distribution. Microsoft will dominate the
software world unless everyone in the Unix community -- BSD, SCO,
RedHat, Debian, and others -- work together to  make more
software -- free and  commercial -- available to as many  users
as possible on  as many platforms as possible.
My initial post was a   suggestion that the Debian community consider
encouraging cdrom vendors to include non-free software.

> 	I do not think we shall ever stop supporting non-free
>  packages, since they are indeed in wide use by our users. And I think
>  that there are vendors who sell parts non-free bundled in with the so
>  called ``official'' CD's, either as an add on, or as a non-official
>  debian cd set.

I will look for those vendors

King Lee
king@ultrix6.cs.csubak.edu