Re: IBM ThinkPad w/ Debian Linux 1.3.1

   Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 20:23:45
   From: "Kenneth F. Ryder III" <Kryder71@mail.caps.maine.edu>

   I am thinking of buying a IBM ThinkPad 755CD and want to know if
   Debian Linux 1.3.1 ( which I just ordered) would work well on it
   (graphical/ CD ROM/ sound /etc. support)

   If this computer will not work well with Debian Linux 1.3.1 I would
   not buy it, but I found it at what I think is a good deal ($695, w/
   850Mb hdd, and docking station) and though it would make a good
   portable programming / work horse. (I'm a computer science student
   at USM, we program in C++ using Emacs/G++/DDD )

I don't have direct experience with this machine, but I have used a
755C for many years and in some ways it is similar.  I also know some
friends using 755CX machines, which are much more like the 755CD, and
those machines work with Debian.

I think you can expect the following: X11 graphics will work, both on
the LCD and externally; the CD-ROM will work; the built-in sound can
be made to work but it requires a kludge where you boot into DOS
first, run some program to initialize it, then boot into linux using a
program called LOADLIN; the fax/modem won't work at all; the docking
station will work, except that if it is a Dock I, the SCSI support
won't work (if it is a Dock II, SCSI is supported).

Finally, since you probably don't know, there is a mailing list for
ThinkPad users, "thinkpad@cs.utk.edu" (subscribe:
"thinkpad-request@cs.utk.edu").  The people on the list are
knowledgeable and experienced, and I found the list invaluable when I
was getting started with ThinkPads.