Re: non-free software

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> wrote:
> Bob> The "Official CD" is a Good Thing (TM), but this side effect is a
> Bob> Bad Thing (TM).
>
> 	What do you mean, bad thing? Are we not trying to promote free
>  software?Why is it a bad thing that more and more CD vendors are
>  restricting them selves to free software then?
>
> 	I think we should not try to change this trend at all

     It is bad because it is contrary to section 5. of the Social
Contract "We encourage CD manufacturers to read the licenses of
software packages in these directories and determine if they can
distribute that software on their CDs."

     For the same reasons that we include non-free programs in the archives, we
should endeavor to make them available to those users who can not obtain
them by ftp (lack of net access, exorbitant on-line or telephone rates,
etc.).

Bob
--
   _