uname doesn't show the up to date kernel compilation number.

I installed a custom kernel using make-kpkg + dpkg.

bash-2.00$ uname -a
Linux rakefet 2.0.29 #1 Sun Mar 29 23:18:35 IDT 1998 i586 unknown
                      ^

              Should be #2.

1) How to correct this ?
2) From where uname get this number (is it written in the kernel itself) ?

I asked the same question couple of weeks ago, and then Manoj Srivastava
<srivasta@acm.org> answered:
"Build another kernl before doing a make distclean (or make-kpkg clean) and it
shall." But either it didn't worked for me or that I didn't understand
_exactly_ what am I suposed to do (Build another kernel using make-kpkg or
manualy ? Build it before I run make-kpkg + dpkg --install or after that ?).