Re: what serve the file in the /dev directory

The files  in the /dev are not the actual device drivers , but the
files
 corresponding to a spesific device driver , so on my system the
/dev/hda
 is the first harddisk etc. You don't actually need everyone. If you
dont
 have a scsi disk you cant omit all the /dev/sd files. The best way to
 make these files are with the MAKEDEV script (or if you want you can
 make them manually with the mknod command ). The BootDisk-HOWTO has a
 list at the end telling which files you must have . On a really plain
 bootdisk i got away with :

 # ls -l /mnt/dev/

 crw--w--w-   2 root     tty        4,   0 Mar 29 07:06 console
 brw-rw----   1 root     floppy     2,   0 Mar 29 07:06 fd0
 brw-rw----   1 root     disk       1, 250 Mar 29 07:06 initrd
 crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys       10,   2 Mar 29 07:07 inportbm
 crw-rw----   1 root     kmem       1,   2 Mar 29 07:06 kmem
 crw-rw----   1 root     kmem       1,   1 Mar 29 07:06 mem
 crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys        1,   3 Mar 29 07:07 null
 brw-rw----   1 root     disk       1,   0 Mar 29 07:06 ram0
 brw-rw----   1 root     disk       1,   1 Mar 29 07:06 ram1
 brw-rw----   1 root     disk       1,   2 Mar 29 07:06 ram2
 brw-rw----   1 root     disk       1,   3 Mar 29 07:06 ram3
 brw-rw----   1 root     disk       1,   4 Mar 29 07:06 ram4
 brw-rw----   1 root     disk       1,   5 Mar 29 07:06 ram5
 brw-rw----   1 root     disk       1,   6 Mar 29 07:06 ram6
 brw-rw----   1 root     disk       1,   7 Mar 29 07:06 ram7
 lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            4 Mar 29 07:06 ramdisk -> ram0
 crw--w--w-   2 root     tty        4,   0 Mar 29 07:06 systty
 crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys        5,   0 Mar 29 09:23 tty
 lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            7 Mar 29 09:23 tty0 -> console
 crw--w--w-   1 root     tty        4,   1 Mar 29 07:05 tty1
 crw--w--w-   1 root     tty        4,   2 Mar 29 07:05 tty2
 crw--w--w-   1 root     tty        4,   3 Mar 29 07:06 tty3
 crw--w--w-   1 root     tty        4,   4 Mar 29 07:06 tty4
 crw--w--w-   1 root     tty        4,   5 Mar 29 07:06 tty5
 crw--w--w-   1 root     tty        4,   6 Mar 29 07:06 tty6
 crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys        1,   5 Mar 29 07:07 zero

 But this doesn't add support for any type of fixed disk. The link from
 systty to console is after my understanding rather important, since my
 system won't boot witout it !

 Happy hacking !