AMD K5, Netscape, netstat & zombies

I got some problem running Netscape 3.04 after I recompiled the kernel.
Simply Netscape hangs waiting for a netstat process which becomes zombie.
Searching on the net I found this message that was the answer:

> From           "Lev Babiev" <lev@mindless.com>
>
> I have K5-100, and when I compiled kernel for Pentium or Ppro I go some
> really nasty problems. Netscape would spawn zombie tasks (netstat) and I
> couldn't even recompile kernel - GCC dumped core. Once I recompiled the
> kernel for 386 everything works fine. Tried this with 2.0.30 and 2.0.32

So I recompiled for 386 and the problem is solved. Neither 486 is working.

Does someone have traced more extensively this problem? Are other programs
affected besides Netscape? Is it only a K5-100 CPU problem? Are newer
kernels affected too?

For the statistics my system is

- AMD K5-100
- Debian 1.3.1.r6 with custom kernel 2.0.30
- Netscape 3.04 (the only program which seems to be affected, but I do
  not tested extensively).

To solve the problem I changed only the CPU option in kernel config.