Re: what serve the file in the /dev directory

My /dev directory only takes up 1.4MB of space.  To my understanding, it
normally isn't a good idea to erase device files.  The same goes for any
system file.  Anyway, you can use the "df" and "du" commands to find out
what your disk usage is.  Look at the man pages for the appropriate
command line arguments.

You mentioned that you copied your /dev directory in an earlier message.
Copying the /dev directory is generally not a good idea, at least for the
device files.  Use the MAKEDEV shell script in /dev or the mknod command
to recreate your /dev directory.  The first (and last) time I tried
copying my /dev directory on UN*X system, specifically Solaris, the copy
ended up going in to an "infinite loop" when the /dev/zero device was
copied.

-Ossama