Re: X-Intrinsics

> just a small question as i'm searching for the 'lowest-level' to use to
> programm under X-Win. Somebody told me that X-Intrinsics is this
> lowest-level, where other GUI's and lib's like OSF/MOTIF setup on.
>
> So, what's X-Intrinsics?
> Is it this lowest-level?
> Where are doc's for this?

As for docs, there are official "books" on X, they are in xbooks package.
For some other published books and tutorials, check out THE X site on the
net: http://www.rahul.net/kenton/index.shtml

In short, the lowest level is the definition of X protocol, Xlib (-lX11)
implements this protocol in its quite low-level routines.
X intrinsics (-lXt) library gives a framework for higher-level libraries
(GUI toolkits) by defining the objects like widget, giving the rules for
inheritance, etc. It also have many functions for manipulating widgets and
their "resources".
Next level is GUI libraries (widget sets itself).
The oldest and simplest one is Athena widget set (-lXaw),
another example, substantialy more complex and complete would be Motif
(-lXm).
Gtk is probably the newest widget set available. Unfortunately, it breaks
X conventions, Xt (X toolkit - same as X intrinsics) framework, etc.
It claims to have the level of Xt covered by the routins of their own.

Hope this helps.

Alex Y.

--
   _