Re: Design of Debian web site

On Sat, Mar 28, 1998 at 05:12:18PM -0600, Ender Wigin wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > Please do not forget that there are users who access the site
> > using text-based browsers like Lynx. Navigation bars and like make a site
> > more difficult to navigate for them.
>
> That should not be an isue ... you can write a script that autoloads a
> lynx version automaticly if you can't handle frames .... I may be wrong
> about this but I realy think I've seen this somewhere before....

The best thing to do is not even use frames (I hate them, personally) and
use alt tags for images and test the pages in a lot of browsers.

Take a look at http://slashdot.org for a page that looks great, has
cool graphics, tables and all that, yet still works very well in lynx.

Keeping lynx compatibility is trivial.

Also, I am in the camp who would love to see an updated Debian home
page.  Same emphasis on content, but with a more consistent look and
fell and some cooler graphics.

I would even be willing to help any one who want to go in on this endeavor.

--
--Travis

At the end of the day, all we care about is doing great software.

					-Bill Gates