Re: Design of Debian web site

> Hi!
>
> The last times I visited the Debian web site I had to realize that it is
> not very impressing concerning design and structure. Especially in
> design the sites of FreeBSD, The GNOME Project, KDE, Red Hat, etc. have
> a lot more to offer.
>
> Of course web page design is not the most important thing about Debian
> but as the web site is in most cases the first contact with Debian I
> consider it important to have a professional, serious looking
> appearance.
>
> Moreover I think the strucure could be improved. I think 16 items in the
> main menu are too many and most of them would fit in a top level
> category.
>
> To make it more clear what I mean: I think of home page with a
> navigation bar on the left and a text column on the right. The
> navigation bar should contain a maximum of about 6 top level categories
> like About, News, Support, Development... each with its second level
> categories. The text column could contain a brief description of what
> Debian is, the latest news article or other related stuff. And to make
> it perfect one could add a nice banner containing the logo and the text
> "Debian GNU/Linux".
>
> All other pages could contain a smaller version of the banner and a
> navigation bar on the top with only the top level categories. The whole
> thing could be colored in white / red / dark blue like the logo.
>
> What do you think about this? I would be happy to hear your opinions. If
> there is enough positive feedback I can create a rough prototype of what
> I think of.
>
> Bye,
> Thomas
>

> --

I would have to disagree.  I like it the way it is.  It is simple, elegant,
and I don't have to search through five screens to find what I want.  As for
professional:  I've seen plenty of "professional" sites that are cluttered,
take *way* to long to download, and are hard to use.

I would agree that a little more color and contrast might be nice (it is
pretty white), and a unified structure (i.e., banners that match on every
page, etc.) is a good thing.  But I have to think that the basic structure
is pretty good the was it is.

But I am glad somebody still looks at these things :)

Ken