the install that never was

Well, I just tried booting with a RedHat boot floppy. It reboots before it's
done, too. I also tried a FreeBSD floppy (I really want *some* kind of
Unix-alike running here!), and while it booted and ran fine with no trouble,
it couldn't recognize my serial ports.

So...what would y'all say my options are from here?

1) Give up, and don't use Linux (a last resort, I'd hope)
2) Find boot floppies that'll work with my machine (would require a kind
soul with a working system to help me out, I'm sure)
3) Find out why my system doesn't get along with Linux
4) Find another free Unix-alike to run (FreeBSD is still possible, but I'll
need to twiddle with its serial recognition)

Any other options? Any possible leads on why this is going on? I don't mean
to sound ungrateful (I understand this software is free), but it strikes me
as a little unfriendly for the installation floppy to be completely unable
to boot. I've scanned the archives, and while I'm not the first person to
have trouble like this during an install, I didn't find any solutions.

---
 Wolf Lochland Logan                      Ohlone Costanoan Esselen Nation
                 xue elo xonia eune - I come from the rock
 The fact is, there may be hope                  http://www.talamasca.org