Re: Multi-Boot

Hi!

Dale Smith (dale.smith@bellhow.com):
> On Wed, 25 Mar 1998 12:47:56 -0600, you wrote:
>
> >So, you may indeed be able to do this. In any case you should be able to use the
> >NT Boot Loader to start linux. This is in fact what I do. Set up LILO in your
> >linux partition and have it write the boot block there. Eg., if your linux
> >partition were on the third scsi disk in the first partition, a command to do
> >this would be 'dd if=/dev/sdc1 bs=512 count=1 of=linuxboo.bin'. Then copy that
> >boot block to a file and stick that file in your main NT partition. Now edit your
> >c:\boot.ini file and add a line for Linux, ala 'C:\linuxboo.bin="Linux"'
> >(assuming you named the file "linuxboo.bin"). As long as your BIOS supports
> >reading from the third drive this should work.

another automatic solution I'm currently using:
 # mount your c: drive RW.
 mount "c:" /mnt	-tvfat

 # this file must exist when lilo is run. otherwise lilo complains.
 dd of=/dev/zero of=/mnt/linux.bin bs=512 count=1
and put
 boot=/mnt/linux.bin
to your lilo.conf

> I have read about this in one of the HOWTO's.  This is a real pain for me
> because my NT partition is ntfs, and I can't use linux tools to copy the boot
> sector.

You can use bootpart:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/gvollant/bootpart.htm
It generates such chain loaders. Then the boot-sequence looks like:
 nt thingie
 bootpart
 lilo bootsector on your linux disk

Regards
 Rainer

---
KeyID=58341901 fingerprint=A5 57 04 B3 69 88 A1 FB  78 1D B5 64 E0 BF 72 EB