upgrade from 1.1 to 1.3/dpkg and dselect

I have had 1.1 for awhile and have just tried to begin an upgrade to
1.3. I found a readme on ftp.debian.org which said:

do dpkg --clear-avail,
 dpkg --install ldso_*.deb,
 dpkg --install libc5_*.deb,
 install dpkg_*.deb dpkg-ftp_*.deb,
 dpkg --purge --force-depends texbin,

 and then to run dselect to upgrade the rest. I got the files
referred to, and the above steps worked until the install of dpkg-ftp.
It gave the message

dpkg:dependency problems prevent configuration of dpkg-ftp:
  dpkg-ftp depends on libnet; however Package libnet is not installed.
dpkg: error processing dpkg-ftp (--install)
   dependency problems-leaving unconfigured.

Since the instructions said several passes were needed I just went on.

But when I ran dselect, chose ftp, but dselect said BEGIN failed,
  compilation aborted, at /usr/lib/perl5/Net/FTP.pm line 378
and compilation aborted  at /usr/lib/dpkg/methods/ftp/setup line 7.

I then got libnet and tried to install it, but dpkg left it unconfigured.
It said I had the wrong version of perl.

I have not yet purged texbin.

I'd welcome any help. Thanks.
Charles Kaufman
chuck@uriacc.uri.edu