Re: Autoup script is dangerous?

On Wed, 25 Mar 1998, Janos Bujtar wrote:

> I am going to upgrade from libc5 to libc6 with autoup script on a live
> machine with bo system (sendmail, apache, etc) ..Is the upgrade this
> way safe?

yes, it works well.  unfortunately, the ftp functions don't work, so
you'll have to download the required packages yourself. (one of these days
i'll get around to fixing it.  somebody emailed me a while ago and said
they had a fix but i don't think they sent me a patch.)

anyway, the best way to do that is to download both autoup.sh and
autoup.tar.gz (a 7mb file containing all the required .debs) from:

	http://csanders.vicnet.net.au/autoup/

you'll also find a copy of scott's mini-howto there. read it before
running the script. in fact, read the script too before running it.

make a subdirectory (e.g. /tmp/autoup) and copy the .sh script and untar
autoup.tar.gz into it. then run autoup.sh and tell it to use the current
directory.

once the script has finished, you'll need to complete the upgrade with
dselect.  use whichever method you like (ftp or mountable are recommended),
but make sure you set it up to use:

	dists/unstable/main
	dists/unstable/contrib
	dists/unstable/non-free