Re: partitioning strategy

Robert Goodwin wrote:

> hi there,
>
> a while ago i asked about installing linux on a large drive in a system that
> does not support LBA.  somebody replied that such a thing would not be a
> problem but likely i would have to make the root partition containing the
> kernel smaller in order to accomodate lilo.
>
> what i'm wondering is how i would then go about putting the rest of the
> directory trees like /usr /var /etc all on the other large partition.  does
> /etc have to be on the small partition as well for fstab and the other start
> up files?  how can i mount multiple directory structures in one partition
> mounted off root.  obviously i'm a little confused.
>
> does someone think they could understand what i'm getting at and maybe
> clarify a little.  a sample fstab would probably help alot too.

Ok. The issue we are dealing with here is that your BIOS won't support drives
>500 mb. So, since LILO uses BIOS calls to load the kernel, you have to have the
kernel on a partition <=500mb. Once the kernel is loaded, it no longer needs the
BIOS calls, and anything else can be as large as you want. Personally, I have my
systems set up with a pretty small root partition (20-60mb), a medium-sized /usr
(200mb) a small-to-medium /var (60-100mb depending on the logging requirements &
such) and _large_ /home and /opt partitions (1+gb) - then i symlink /usr/local to
/opt. /boot (where the kernels live) is on the (small) root partition, so LILO is
happy. /etc is tiny, so it also lives on the root. hope this helps clear things
up a little.