Re: Win95 as a terminal

On Wed, 25 Mar 1998, Linux admin at alv wrote:

> Is there a better solution for using my Linux resources from Win 95 computer?
> Notice: no network card. Only null modem.

It's not proven, but I think that there's two ways to do this:

- the hard way: make sure that the modems either have init strings passed
to them that put them in "fixed link"  (maybe there's a better name for
it?) mode or have it programmed in their cmos (if available.) Next, hack a
windows modem driver and cut out all the modem talk/response strings.
There's a driver somewhere on the net that has just that.
AFAIK that is the only way to have a true (compatible :-) ) nullmodem
connection in windows. Linux doesn't care, it's even easier as you don't
have to write a chat script at all to massage the link before attemting to
start ppp on it.

- the easy way, which is also a nice hack: write a chatscript that doesn't
talk _to_ a modem, but instead talks _like_ a modem. Unset the timeout
while it waits for windows to start dialling. I'm not sure if it is
enough, but I think that basically echoing "OK" to everything windows says
is enough. Finally, echo "CONNECT" and start pppd.
You must wire the RTS and CTS lines correctly, so you'll be able to do
hardware handshaking (faster transfer than xon/xoff.) Also make sure that
the serial ports on both sides get the DCD signal, or else both computers
may think that the "line" is dropped.

> Can I, for instance, use my dial-up internet connection thru Linux computer on
> Win 95?

Yes, just set windows to use the linux host as the gateway and configure
linux to route all packets. Maybe you want to setup ip-aliasing and
firewalling too, unless you have real ip numbers.

Cheers,

Joost