Re: Video card recommendations...

Hi Ben,

> I love my Millenium II 8MB.  It runs X great with 32-bit color @
> 1600x1200.

I'd check your configuration if I were you.  The Millenium II's chipset
doesn't support 1600x1200@32bpp, even though you can configure XFree86 to
actually run the card at that resolution and color depth.  The fact that
the Millenium II doesn't support 1600x1200@32bpp was confirmed by the
XFree86 people in charge of developing the Millenium II drivers and by the
Millenium II manual and specification sheet.  However it does, support
1600x1200@24bpp, although the 24bpp mode is still a little quirky with the
current XF86_SVGA server.

I configured my own 8MB Millenium II for 1600x1200@32bpp before I knew
that this resolution/color depth combo was unsupported by the chipset and
I ran into problems with my monitor going into a self test mode because of
an invalid signal from my Millenium II.

Despite this limitation, the Millenium II still seems to be the only card
that can actually do 1280x1024@32bpp, at least within the Millenium II's
price range.  I agree with Ben, the Millenium II is a very good card.

Cheers,        (I've seen enough people use "Cheers," so why not me :-))
-Ossama