Re: minimum reqd. files to run X-win on hamm

There are probably better ways to do this (so I'll be watching for other
answers too) but you can just do a 'more /var/lib/dpkg/available' and
take a look at the 'depends' and 'recommends' sections for 'xbase' and
the appropriate 'xserver'.

You can also just run dselect.  Make sure that it is a 'clean run' (ie:
there are no pending actions and you have not done an 'update avail'
since the last 'install').

Choose a package such as xbase and write down the required and suggested
packages.  Accept the ones that are required and repeat this process
until no further 'conflict' screens appear.  Then you _should_ be able
to exit the selection phase with an 'X' and have all of your changes
dropped.  NOTE:  I have NOT done this (or at least not recently enough
to be sure that it works as advertised).

Basically, to install X you have to have the xbase package, font base
and fonts, xlib's, and a server.

--
best,
-bill